Sunday, November 28, 2010

Jude is here!

Jude is here!! Oh, we are so in love with this little guy! Here is our birth story and lots of pics. If you don't want to read all of the gory details, feel free to skip to the pictures. :D

Jude entered this world at 1:02 pm weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and 20 inches long at 39 weeks and 3 days. I was induced and was very nervous about it going in. I definitely should not have been nervous because it was absolutely perfect. It truly could not have gone any better if I had planned it out myself. :) We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am. I was 3cm and 80% (had been for 4 weeks). The IV was started around 8:00 and pitocin around 8:30. A resident doctor came and broke my water at about 9:30 am. The pitocin was upped and from there the contractions started coming every 2-3 minutes and were getting stronger and stronger with each contraction. Once they were regular, I was checked and was 5-6 cm. At 6 cm, the contractions were very strong and were right on top of each other so I decided to get the epidural at that point. I was still able to be very relaxed and calm at that point...I just didn't feel like dealing with the pain anymore. The anesthesiologist was awesome and was trying to hurry as fast as he could to get the epidural done before it was too late since there was no break at all between contractions anymore. He flipped me over and went as fast as he could. He did an amazing job. I had a walking epidural so I was still able to feel and move my legs and feel pressure, but hardly any real pain. It was heaven! After the epidural kicked in, things went very quick. The nurse left for a little while and when she came back, she checked me and I was fully dilated and ready to push. She got the room all ready and I was so excited to have our baby! There was such a peaceful, calm feeling in the room. The doctor happened to already be on the floor, so he came right in to get things going. We joked and talked while they were setting everything up. I pushed a few times, then stopped and waited for another contraction while laughing with the doctor. I pushed through 3 contractions and Jude was born. As any mother knows, there is absolutely nothing like seeing your child for the first time. There are no words to describe it. Josh and I both cried and were so happy. They laid him on my stomach and I was able to hold him right away. It was amazing. He was so perfect. A miracle. Josh cut the cord and they took him across the room to check him out. He was crying really well and looked great. His apgars were 8 and 9. I became a little nervous because the doctor kept looking at me and giving me a nervous smile while trying to get the placenta to come out. He said my uterus wasn't wanting to let go of the placenta so he had to manually go in and pull it out himself. He tried and tried and could not get it out. This went on for a few minutes and he kept nervously smiling at me. I asked him if everything was okay and he said, yes, you're okay, I just need to get this out quickly and it's not wanting to come out. A couple of tries later, he finally got it out and I was so relieved. I only had 2 artificial tears and a couple of stitches. They brought Jude to me and I was able to hold him and nurse him right away. I was able to keep him for about 45 minutes before they took me to my room and Josh took him to the nursery to get all cleaned up. With our other kids, I had the shakes really bad and felt horrible for a long time after the birth. During and after having Jude, I never had the shakes at all and felt so great. We were able to go home after 27 hours. Recovery hasn't been bad besides the awful cramping. It definitely gets worse with each kid. Jude's billirubin level is slightly high so we may have to go back to get it checked again, but he is an awesome eater and is doing great! The girls are totally in love with their little brother and want to hold him all of the time. Jaxton has been sweet with him too and kisses him on the head...but only when he wants to, of course. It has to be on his terms! Jude is gorgeous and we are head over heels in love with this little guy. It is amazing how you can instantly love someone so much. We are so thankful for such a wonderful experience and so thankful for this little miracle. We are so blessed.










Add Image






Rylee and Jude holding hands...
















1 comments:

Harris Family said...

Thank you for sharing your birth story! I didn't think to look at your blog until now, cause--well, everybody uses facebook so much! LOL. But he is perfect in every way, and it sounds like your birth went perfectly too. So happy for you. Love you guys!