Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Fun!!

I have been trying to come up with a bunch of fun things for the kids to do this summer. I want summertime to be a magical, memorable time for our kids. I also don't want to hear all day this summer, "mom, I'm bored!!" Makailee and I made this "mom, I'm bored!" jar. When she is bored, she can pick a slip of paper out of the jar. The slips of paper are labeled with fun things to do such as: read a book, write a story, play outside with bubbles or play dough, etc. There are also not-so-fun things to do on the slips of paper such as: clean up toys downstairs, clean off table, practice math, etc. It is the luck of the draw and she has to do whatever she picks out. She is really excited about this. :)


Makailee is going to keep a journal of fun things she does this summer. She will write and draw pictures of the fun things she does. I think it will be a really great thing for her to look back on. It will also be a fun thing that she can take to her first day of 2nd grade to show her class what she did during the summer.

I want the kids to do lots of fun things this summer and not just sit and watch tv. So, we created this envelope and a bunch of different cards. Each night before I go to bed, I will select one card and place it in the envelope. The next morning, after Makailee has done her chores, she can open the envelope and we will see what is inside! The cards are labeled with different crafts, science projects, outings, activities, and theme days. For instance, today the card I picked and put in the envelope was "go to the fair!" There was a fair today in Springville so that is what we did today. Makailee is SUPER excited about this, as am I. I am sure I will be making future posts about the fun things that we do this summer.


Here are some pics from the fair we went to today. It was raining but we still had fun! Makailee and Jaxton went on a few rides together and loved it...




I love this picture below of Jaxton with his hands on his head. It cracks me up.







Here's to a FUN summer!!

3 comments:

Harris Family said...

What a great Mom you are! I love the jar idea and will keep that in mind for the future.

Tonia and Joshua said...

Thanks Jen!

Katie said...

OH my gosh! You are the best mom ever!